Drama unfolded at an Accra High Court on Tuesday when businessman Alfred Agbesi Woyome, thought he had been discharged and was therefore a free man after the state filed a nolle prosequi.
But moments after that decision by the state, he was re-arrested within the premises of the court and slapped with two fresh charges.
He has been charged with defrauding by false pretence and causing financial loss to the State to the tune of GhC 51 million.
The state, on Tuesday, indicated it was no longer interested in prosecuting Mr Woyome and three others.
Mr. Woyome, interdicted Chief State Attorney, Mr Nerquaye-Tettey; who was facing two counts of conspiracy and corruption of public officer, his wife, Gifty Tetteh-Nerquaye and Mr Asimenu; each facing one count of abetment of crime, were standing trial for their roles in the infamous GHC51 million judgment debt payment paid to Mr Woyome as compensation for the abrogation of a contract to build stadia for the 2008 African Cup of Nations.
They had all pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The Woyome case, which had been pending in court for months now, was scheduled for trial today after the the Financial Division of the Fast Track High Court chaired by John Ajet-Nasam, ordered Alfred Woyome to report himself to the police later in the day to enable them to take further statements from him so as to continue the case of the fraudulent payment to him
The expectation therefore was that the state would state its case but state prosecutors, led by Cynthia Lamptey told the court it was no longer interested in pursuing the matter.
However, more drama was to follow when the police re-arrested the stunned NDC financier.
- Bedrock of Ghana’s democracy has dried up - Rev. Kwasi Sarpong
- Prez Mills Under Fire
- AFAG calls for arrest of Finance Minister & two others or ...
- Alfred Woyome being used as “sacrificial lamb” – Martin Amidu
- Woyome Is A Crass Criminal – Rawlings
- Who Are The ‘Senior Persons’ That Take Decisions For Mills?
- Alfred Woyome 'swerves' police
- Rawlings: Why Is NDC Protecting 'Corrupt Woyome'
- PNC, CPP Risk Losing Relevance If They Fail To Merge
- Rawlings: NDC will lose 2012 polls for shunning June 4 ideals
- Census: NPP And NDC Express Satisfaction At Release
- Government Denies NPP Claims
- A-G under pressure to settle Balkan Energy case – Martin Amidu
- Rawlings Set To Defy "Ban" By Aflao Chiefs
- We Will Crush All June 4 Saboteurs - Kofi Adams Warns
- Aflao chiefs ban June 4 celebration on their soil
- Amidu Explodes Again; I’m Not A Traitor, Chief Of Staff A Coward
- Ceasefire – Nana Ato Dadzie counsels Amidu, NDC & gov’t
- Amidu to Mills: Dare me and I'll expose you
- 50 Unprecedented Disasters of President Mills
- Jake Accuses Mills Of Diversionary Tactics
- Biometric Registration Of Prisoners Begins Tuesday
- Gov’t to pay another judgment debt of GH¢130,000
- "Ephson's File: Rawlings' Campaign Against NDC Will Benefit NPP"
- NDC Stalls Woyome