Managing Editor of the Al-Hajjnewspaper, Alhaji Bature, wants the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) to damn the consequences and tell the former First Lady, Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings to the face that the party has had enough of her sickening attitude.
Alhaji Bature believes the former First Lady is bent on scuttling President Mills’ re-election bid and will mostly likely declare her intention to run as an independent Presidential candidate in the not too distant future.
It is an open secret that there is no love-lost between the Rawlingses and President Mills as there appears to be a battle for rights over the heart and soul of the party. Indeed, the chasm between them widened after what Mrs Rawlings described as “unfair treatment” meted out to her and her supporters during the National Delegates’ Congress held in Sunyani last July.
But her latest correspondence to the party leadership, saying she may be forced to withdraw or forbid the use of the NDC logo if what she describes as the disregard and the abuse of values enshrined in the logo and the party’s constitution continues, will surely ruffle some feathers.
The former First Lady, has threatened to place a ban on the use of the NDC party’s logo, the umbrella, if the party continues to disrespect her family, the founder and the values enshrined in the logo and the constitution for that matter.
A letter written to the party’s National Chairman, Dr. Kwabena Adjei, by Nana Konadu’s solicitors, states that “as you may be aware, our client holds the copyright to the political party logo being used by the NDC party as its registered political party symbol and known as the ‘akatamanso’ (umbrella).
The statement quotes inter alia “Our client’s intellectual property rights in the said symbol were duly registered…our client has since authoring the logo permitted its use by the party unhindered. However it will be recalled that our client had the occasion sometime after the last congress of the party…to warn the party against the infringement of her exclusive moral rights…by both party leadership both in their public utterances and deeds and thereby denigrating the symbolic value of the logo.
“Our client therefore demands the immediate end to the continuous infringement and denigration of her exclusive intellectual property rights in the logo. That unless steps are taken by the party to that effect our client will feel compelled to withdraw her permission for the use of the logo by the party.”
But speaking in an interview on the Citi Eye Witness News, Alhaji Bature said it is an embarrassment for the former first Lady to have issued such a threat. Whiles calling on the party to boldly tell the former First Lady that the party has had enough of her tanturms, he also urged the NDC to design a new party logo and hand over ownership of the red, green, white and black umbrella emblem with the head of an eagle atop it to her before the 2012 elections.
“It is an embarrassment…They should tell Nana Konadu that enough is enough; they should give her her logo and change their logo and then use it for the upcoming election. This, they need to do now before it is too late; if they wait, this matter will be in court and they will suffer the consequences…,” Alhaji Bature said.
To him, there is no need negotiating with the former First Lady because “she has vowed; she has resolved to make sure that Prof. Mills is not president after 2012 and everything she will do to ensure that that is done, she is going to do it and so the NDC should act fast…This is just the tip of the iceberg. Very soon she is going to declare herself as an independent candidate…”
But speaking on the same platform, Kofi Adams, spokesperson for the Rawlingses explained that Nana Konadu is not demanding for the logo just to embarrass the NDC or its members.
“She is not doing this to embarrass anybody as Alhaji Bature wants your listeners to believe…she is doing so because she has very serious concerns…if the party can do anything to improve upon the situation that it finds itself in now; the high level of disrespect for the founder, the high level of disunity, the neglect of values, the lack of accountability…if anybody says she is there to embarrass anybody, that is false. The party was formed for a reason and there are values that the party stands for…,” Kofi Adams asserted.
- Qualifications Of A Member Of Parliament (MP)
- Ghana Police gets intense training ahead of Dec. polls
- Mills Boys Slap Konadu
- Investigate My Wife...Newly-Wed Muntaka Tell Child’s Rights Activists
- Nana Konadu Submitted Umbrella Logo…Others Proposed Sheep And Plantain
- Woyome's aide damns AFAG, warns NDC, NPP backbiters
- STATEMENT: Woyome Has Never Been An NDC Financier
- Absence of national dev't plan is cause of our demise - MP
- CPP ready for congress amidst internal opposition
- Public officers contesting elections must resign now – GII
- Bawumia does not understand statistical figures - GSS
- Ghanaian Muslims condemn hate speech
- CPP picks flagbearer on Saturday
- Kufuor Schools Vice Prez John Mahama
- Bawumia said nothing new on Ghana's economy- CPP
- Prisoners unwilling to register – Afari Gyan
- Nana Meets Volta Chiefs
- No Need For Wholesale Extension – Registration Officials
- J.J Rawlings to lecture African leaders on governance
- People who want to win power through violence will fail - Asantehene
- Ken Agyapong's lawyers to file for discharge
- NDC, NPP Fail To Seek Welfare Of People - Bright Akwetey
- We Must Aim At Building Nation For All - Bawumia
- Ashanti Region Tops Multiple Registration
- Bawumia’s analysis full of inaccuracies and distortions - MoF