Founder of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Ex-President Jerry John Rawlings is unperturbed by a “ban” placed on him against holding the 33rd Anniversary of the June 4th uprising in Aflao, as he appears set to address a rally to commemorate the occasion at the Victory Park on Sunday.
On Thursday, the Chiefs, Council of Elders and people in the Aflao Traditional Area registered their disapproval of and objection to the choice of Aflao as the venue for this year’s June 4th celebration since they believed it will prevent developmental projects earmarked for the area by the NDC government from taking place.
In a strongly-worded letter signed by three eminent statesman from the area; Torgbui Nyueimedzi Anubo IV, Senior Divisional Chief of Aflao Traditional Area, Prof Ernest Dumor, Chairman, Aflao Council of Elders and Christian Yevunya, Chairman Aflao Youth Association, the chiefs said they are “apprehensive of” and feel “uncomfortable” that the Aflao Traditional Area is to be used as a platform for staging a political contest.
They therefore appealed to the security agencies to withdraw any endorsement of the celebration taking place in the area.
But a few hours after the diktat from the Aflao chiefs, the organizing committee of the June 4th celebration issued a statement urging the general public to ignore the “devious machinations of anti-revolutionary elements” since come what may, this year’s anniversary celebration will be held in Aflao in the Volta Region with Rawlings delivering the keynote address.
“The general public and all true believers of the decade that stopped the rot are invited to participate in the celebrations…The organizing committee wishes to assure all those travelling to Aflao for the rally that it will definitely take place at the Victory Park as scheduled. The public is advised to ignore the devious machinations of anti-revolutionary elements who are bent on creating negativity towards the event,” the statement said.
Read the full statement below.
Ex-PRESIDENT RAWLINGS TO ADDRESS JUNE 4 RALLY AT AFLAO
The 33rd anniversary of the June 4 uprising will be celebrated under the theme ‘Integrity for Sustainable Development’.
The organizing committee of the June 4 celebrations wishes to confirm details of the celebration as follows:
On Friday June 1, there will be Muslim prayers at various mosques across the country.
Christian prayers will follow across the country on Sunday June 3.
The rally to commemorate the event will take place at the Victory Park, Aflao on June 3 at 1pm to be followed on Monday June 4 with a parade and wreath laying ceremony at the Revolution Square in Accra.
The celebrations will end with a special thanksgiving service at the Action Chapel, Spintex Road at 9.30am on Sunday June 10.
The general public and all true believers of the decade that stopped the rot are invited to participate in the celebrations.
The organizing committee wishes to assure all those travelling to Aflao for the rally that it will definitely take place at the Victory Park as scheduled. The public is advised to ignore the devious machinations of anti-revolutionary elements who are bent on creating negativity towards the event.
His Excellency Flt Lt Jerry John Rawlings and other leading figures of the revolution will address the rally.
- PNC, CPP Risk Losing Relevance If They Fail To Merge
- Rawlings: NDC will lose 2012 polls for shunning June 4 ideals
- Census: NPP And NDC Express Satisfaction At Release
- Government Denies NPP Claims
- A-G under pressure to settle Balkan Energy case – Martin Amidu
- We Will Crush All June 4 Saboteurs - Kofi Adams Warns
- Aflao chiefs ban June 4 celebration on their soil
- Amidu Explodes Again; I’m Not A Traitor, Chief Of Staff A Coward
- Ceasefire – Nana Ato Dadzie counsels Amidu, NDC & gov’t
- Amidu to Mills: Dare me and I'll expose you
- 50 Unprecedented Disasters of President Mills
- Jake Accuses Mills Of Diversionary Tactics
- Biometric Registration Of Prisoners Begins Tuesday
- Gov’t to pay another judgment debt of GH¢130,000
- "Ephson's File: Rawlings' Campaign Against NDC Will Benefit NPP"
- NDC Stalls Woyome
- Akufo Addo leads Mills in Synovate polls
- Martin Amidu speaks: NDC legal team interfering with A-G's work
- CPP surprised at Dr Bawumia
- Synovate poll puts Nana Addo ahead of President Mills
- Jake floors Okudzeto, Omane-Boamah over acquisition of State bungalow
- Majority Leader, CPP Flagbearer & Others Escape Death By A Whisker
- NDC, DFP reunion sealed
- Nduom to make education free, compulsory
- Publish registered voters constituency by constituency - Omanhen suggests