The Wenchi Constituency Youth Organizer of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC), Abubakar Mahama, was yesterday afternoon sprayed with acid, an incident residents believed was orchestrated by some of his colleague party officials.
The news of the callous act attracted a huge crowd to the Wenchi Police Station to catch a glimpse of the suspects.
At the time of filing this report, the NDC youth organizer had been admitted to the Wenchi Methodist Hospital receiving treatment.
A greater part of his body was burnt.
A police source told Daily Guide that the police had arrested one Awuah Francis alias Bullock, 18, an aide to the Wenchi Municipal Chief named by the prime suspect, Kwabena Kyeremeh, also 28, as the one who allegedly contracted him to commit the crime.
According to police preliminary investigations, Kwabena Kyeremeh mentioned that Bullock came to see him in Sunyani recently and contracted him to commit the heinous crime by pouring acide on the victim.
Kyeremeh revealed to the police that Bullock assured him that there were some three big men at Wenchi solidly behind him so he should not be afraid of the consequences of the contract.
The police source told Daily Guide that they were tapping very crucial information from the two suspects who were currently in their custody that would lead them to arrest the suspected three big men.
Meanwhile, the victim has told a section of the press from his hospital bed that a day before the incident, the NDC constituency Chairman confided in him that a colleague constituency executive member had warned him to trend cautiously since he (the youth organizer) was not a native of Wenchi and that they would kill him if he did not keep his mouth shut.
Narrating the incident to journalists, the NDC youth organizer said he was in his room at about 1:45pm yesterday when he heard a knock on his door, when he opened it, he saw the suspect who introduced himself as “Akwasi from the Western region but resides in the Ashanti region”.
Abubakar said the suspect asked him whether he was the NDC youth organizer and when he answered in the affirmative, the suspect decided to engage him in some discussions concerning the NDC.
According to him, when he attempted to go back into his room to pick a chair for the ‘visitor’, the suspect, who was holding a bottle, poured the contents on him.
He said he mustered courage and struggled to chase the culprits amidst shouts for help.
He said some residents came to his aid and pursued the suspect, grabbed him and sent him to the police station.
- NDC-Rawlings rift really requires a mediator – Dr. Whyte
- Rawlings: Mills’ govt speeding Ghana into an abyss
- NDC boycotts programmes of Multimedia Company Ltd
- The Rawlingses Carries Out Their Threat
- Mills' men rigged Sunyani congress - Nana Konadu
- Rawlings can make or break NDC rally - Amakye
- Bimbila NDC office in flames; Youth protesting chieftaincy ruling
- Don't use Rawlings' name to publicise NDC events - Rawlings
- “Sack all NDC executives in government”
- NDC propaganda machinery ‘sets the record straight’ on Mills’ achievements
- Don't Be Lured Into Registering - Ani-Agyei
- I’m A "Winnable Candidate"; I Don’t Need JJ Or Nana Konadu Claims Mills
- 4 NDC Stalwarts Unhappy With Vilification Campaign
- NDC Targets 17 Seats In C/R
- Baba Jamal optimistic of winning Akwatia seat
- GHC 51m Woyome saga could affect NDC in Dec polls - EIU
- Kwabena Adjei summons Atta Mills over sinking NDC
- NDC youth threaten to resign from NDC if...
- NDC slams Anthony Karbo’s militancy comment
- NDC has failed Volta Region - Volta MP
- NDC ready for Greater Accra parliamentary primaries
- NDC disqualifies Emelia Arthur from contesting Shama primaries
- True NDC members should back off Woyome saga – Sam Pee Yarley
- Don't Renew Mandate Of NDC Sitting MPs In North - NORPRA
- NDC Women's Organiser Slams Communication Team