The opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) will cooperate with the police in their investigations into alleged treasonable comments made by Member of Parliament (MP) for Assin North Ken Agyepong, says Communications Director of the party Nana Akomea.
He said: “we will support the police in their work; they are the people who provide security for all of us…”
Nana Akomea was speaking on the Super Morning Show on Joy FM Tuesday. Though the party said it is prepared to aid the police in this regard, Nana Akomea said the NPP is unhappy about the selective manner in which certain issues are handled by the police.
He explained that other people across the political divide have made comments that could be interpreted as treasonable but the police have sat unconcerned.
“We are also worried that there seems to be some discrimination, the comments that Ken Agyepong made you can find aspects of those comments from various people across the political divide and we feel that the police can be even handed by inviting all those people who have made statements that can be interpreted as incendiary.”
He regretted that supporters of the party who thronged the police headquarters Monday became confrontational with the police, saying “those events are unfortunate.”
However the NPP Communications Director noted that the supporters might have been disappointed that the police did not release the Assin North MP after indicating he could go home if his bail conditions are met – the conditions were all met.
Nana Akomea assured that “we will not attack or put any impediment on the way of the police…but we are worried about the seeming discrimination…”
Meanwhile Minority Leader Osei Kyei Mensah-Bonsu, also speaking in an interview with Joy FM, accused the police of superintending thuggery and added that if the police worked as professionals, people will refrain from taking the law into their own hands.
He believed there was nothing treasonable about Ken’s comments and said: “Why are you doing this to this guy, is it because he said something against Woyome?”
- NPP must focus on issues - Samira Bawumia
- NPP Rally: Many Injured In Kumasi
- Nana Addo & Bawumia storm Ashanti region
- Nana Addo resumes nationwide tour with running mate, Bawumia
- NPP guru reports to CID today
- Five Rioters Before Court
- MND Jawula: Naturally I'm sad but...
- CONFIRMED: Dr. Bawumia is Akufo-Addo’s running mate
- Woyomegate could never have happened under me - Nana Akufo-Addo
- NPP Already At The Castle - Appiah-Pinkrah
- NPP: Economy is sinking; Give us chance to fix it
- Nationwide blackout part of NDC plan to rig election- Sammy Awuku
- Nana Akufo-Addo to speak on BBC’s 'Hard Talk'
- Four years under NDC is a wasted period in Ghana history - Sammy Awuku
- Ofosu Ampofo Is Afraid Of NPP In Fanteakwa - Akufo Addo
- Akufo-Addo Has Shown Impressive Restraint - Kufuor
- Akufo-Addo has shown impressive restraint – Kufuor
- Attempts To Draw NPP Into Woyomegate Will Fail – Akomea
- I Couldn't Fight Corruption - Appiah-Ofori
- NDC’s irresponsible and criminal attitude must stop – NPP
- GBC make-up artiste shocked by YouTube video
- NPP joins protestation of NHIS Capitation
- Nigerians must Emulate Ghana's Political Example - Mac Manu
- Akufo-Addo at a town hall meeting in Houston
- Full Speech: Akufo-Addo speaks to business community in Houston