America's top military officer has condemned a course taught at a US military college that advocated a "total war" against Muslims.
The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen Martin Dempsey, said the course was "totally objectionable" and "against our values".
The voluntary course at the Joint Forces Staff College in Virginia also suggested possible nuclear attacks on holy Muslim cities such as Mecca.
The course has now been suspended.
"It was just totally objectionable, against our values, and it wasn't academically sound," Gen Dempsey said.
He added that he had ordered a full investigation when the course was suspended in April after one of the students objected to the material.
The officer in charge of the class, Lt Col Matthew Dooley, has been suspended from teaching but has kept his job at the college in the city of Norfolk.
The Pentagon has also confirmed that the course material found on their website is authentic.
The story broke after a copy of the presentation of the course material was posted online by Wired.com's Danger Room blog.
"We have now come to understand that there is no such thing as 'moderate Islam'," Lt Col Dooley said in the presentation last July.
"It is therefore time for the United States to make our true intentions clear. This barbaric ideology will no longer be tolerated. Islam must change or we will facilitate its self-destruction."
He added that international laws protecting civilians in armed conflicts - such as the Geneva Conventions were "no longer relevant".
That left open the option, the instructor continued, of applying "the historical precedents of Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nagasaki" to Islam's holiest cities, and bringing about "Mecca and Medina destruction".
Lt Col Dooley has made no public comments on the issue since the story broke.
The Pentagon hopes a full report will be out by the end of the month, the BBC's North America editor Mark Mardell reports.
What does seem rather surprising, he adds, is that all those commanders, captains and colonels must have sat through the course and not felt the need to tell someone that something rather weird was going on.
- George Zimmerman was 'bleeding from the nose and head'
- Non-Hispanic white births the minority in US
- Multi-millionaire President Barack Obama has up to $1 million in a JPMorgan Chase checking account and his total worth could be $8.3 million new figures show
- Over-the-counter HIV tests backed by US panel
- First Gay President': Newsweek marks Obama's landmark announcement with controversial cover
- Obama says same-sex couples should be able to marry
- US 'foils new underwear bomb plot' by al-Qaeda in Yemen
- Two charged after illegal immigrants found in Texas houses
- John Edwards' betrayed wife 'tore off bra
- Barack Obama pledges to 'finish the job' in Afghanistan
- Obama criticises 'knucklehead' sex scandal agents
- Mitt Romney vows to oust Obama after primary sweep
- Mexico-US migration slips after 40 years of growth
- US Secret Service Cartagena scandal 'involved 20 women'
- Colombia summit prostitutes scandal 'an embarrassment'
- Tornadoes kill five in US Midwest
- Trayvon Martin: George Zimmerman appears in court
- Trayvon Martin: George Zimmerman charged with murder
- Charles Manson parole hearing due
- Bolivia 'to end Brazil firm's contract for Amazon road'
- Mega Millions: School employees win Maryland jackpot
- Trayvon Martin: Prosecutor decides against grand jury
- Now he's after the Trekkie vote! Obama gives Vulcan salute in Oval Office during Star Trek icon's visit
- Supreme Court ends three-day Obama healthcare debate
- Obama in push for 'world without nuclear weapons'